- Blue Ribbon Grant- please send all grant forms to Christine (Chris) Samuel at Stapleton Elementary no later than Dec. 14th.
- December meeting- We will hold a "come and go" event. We plan to have newletter for all members. Please make sure each school has one rep come and pick up your treats and information for your members.
Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 4-5pm Crosslines
- Bargaining- The JNEA bargaining team has submitted the letter of intent to begin bargaining for the 17-18 school year. We will only bargain on financial areas. The team met with Dr. Ridder, Dr. Lankford, and Mr. Barr on Dec. 7th to begin looking over the district budget. More to come from your bargaining team: Crystal Stokes, Will Keczkemethy, Tina Guiles, Wendy Henady, Annie Smith (MNEA)
- School Board Candidates- Our school board will have 3 opening for Joplin School Board in the April elections. If you know of a community member, parent, grandparent, PTO parents, business partner who would be an advocate for our students and teachers please encourage them to run. Applications to run for election are located at MEC.
-Teacher Forum- December 5th. Around 30 teachers attended the teachers forum at MEC.
+Dr. Sachetta attended to offer information regarding the issues around the transportation issue, and the possible solutions. The district has added 30 full time bus drivers this year.
+Calendar committee- Meets Thursday, December 8th. Julie Munn, Principal Kelsey Norman Elementary is the contact person for the committee.
More to come.
+ Staff Surveys- Staff should receive a link in the next few days to take the annual online staff survey. Be assured this is a confidential survey conducted through a non- biased company in Springfield, MO. The hope is for over 90% staff completion.
+Dr. Moss- Our new superintendent will begin with the district April 1.
+ BOE filing- December 13- January 17. All candidates will file with Pat Waldo at MEC.
+Next meeting- Monday, January 9th 4:30pm MEC Library ALL TEACHERS Welcomed!
- Dr. Melinda Moss. Crystal Stokes, JNEA president had an opportunity on December 7th to sit down and talk to our new incoming Superintendent. You are welcome to look over her professional experience detailed in the press release on joplinschools.org and the Joplin Globe. However, in a nutshell she has taught and worked as an administrator in Missouri mostly in the Springfield area from 1985-2007. Then became the Assistant Superintendent and moved to Superintendent in Harrison Arkansas 2007-present. Key points from our conversation. When we spoke Dr. Moss exhibited many of the qualities and similar philosophy of Dr. Ridder. She is looking at what we do well and how we can improve. She is not a "program" finder. Identify the problem and find the supports to help the students. As she is just familiarizing herself with Joplin and or dynamics I did have the opportunity to give her a bit of insight into our district. Systems review instead of the “teacher evaluation” has been a positive- for both teachers and principals. We have an amazing fine arts and music program. Our teachers love to brag on our kids! We want our Superintendent to be just as proud as we are of our students, and be able to talk from experience of seeing what is going on in our schools.
Enjoy your break and we hope to see you at our SOCIAL in January 2017!